I hereby announce that I’m going to try my hand at creating a board game.
I’ve been musing over the prospect for a while now and I’ve finally decided to plunge in and try to create what I envision.
Here’s the basic pitch:
Players take on the role of candidates trying to make it to the Presidency of the USA. Along the way they’ll have options to “Lean Left” or “Go Right” as they weave their way through an Election and Term as a Local Mayor, a State Governorship, on to the US Senate and finally a run for the President of the United States. The Player who successfully manages to reach the Presidency first is the winner.
What I envision:
- I see a Game Board with branching and merging paths for both elections and terms of each of the 3 pre-cursors. These branches are denoted as Left or Right and correspond to the politics of the same.
- 6 Player Tokensof primary colors
- I’d actually love to see tokens that represent political ideas and such, like a Donkey, an Elephant, a Flag, a Check Mark, a Man and a Woman.
- I see a Media Spin spinner with various media-related good and bad things like: “Positive Press: Move forward 1 space” and “Your Poll Numbers Drop: Move back 2 spaces”
- I see Political Favor Tokens that can be spent to avoid bad things on the board, spinner or when drawn from a card. Each bad thing will have a set buy-off value that the player can avoid by turning in the necessary number of tokens.
- I see Vote Cards that has an issue identified and the resultant will of the people. For each issue, the card will have both good and bad things listed based on how the stereo-typical Left and Right political-minded person would vote. If the Player is on the side of the voters, they get the positive benefit listed. Otherwise the Player must face the political consequences of voting against their constituency.
- (That seems more confusing now that it’s typed out… so here’s an example) The Player has chosen to “Lean Left” in their term as a US Senator and has drawn a vote card that indicates the people have decided to vote for corporate tax cuts (arguably a Right-minded political action.) As a result, the player must perform the Left (and in this case negative) action indicated on the card.
- Unlike the negative effects and the bonuses granted from certain spaces on the Game Board or results of spins of the Media Spin spinner, a small number of positive benefits from Vote Cards will allow the player to hold the card and use that benefit when they decide. Examples might be: “If you are in the Senate, go directly to Declare Your Candidacy For President”
- I see a 6 sided Diewith the following:
- The numbers 1 through 3 for moving the Player Token along the Game Board
- A Check Mark for drawing a Vote Card
- A Microphone for spinning the Media Spin spinner
- A Flag denoting that the player may take a Political Favor Token
The game should be able to be played by 2-6 players in roughly an hour to an hour and a half.
And that’s my initial thought on the game. Let’s see how it turns out as I try my hand at this.