Since I’ve never created a board game, I’m not sure if I’m making good progress or not. But as of today here’s what I’ve accomplished:
- The general layout of the board is complete.
- I basically drew the generic path out by hand and then mapped it out on graph paper to get the spacing right.
- It consists of 106 spots with six branching and merging paths and a circular path at the end.
- I’m pleased with how it looks.
- I’ve brainstormed 66 Board Events.
- That means that 62% of the time a player will land on an “interesting” spot representing an Event or requiring an Action.
- I need to build a layout of where these interesting spots will be along the path.
- The Media Spinner is set to five outcomes.
- Three of which are positives and two are negative.
- I’m pleased with this and consider it complete.
- I’ve brainstormed 20 cards.
- By numbers alone 4 players could conceivably draw 48 cards, so this isn’t near enough. But I think it’s a good start.
- Five are “Hold and Play Later” cards consisting of four positive and one negative.
- Eight actual Issue cards with bonuses and drawbacks and costs based on Left/Right affiliation.
- I’m certain I need more of these.
- Seven Event cards consisting of three positives and four negatives.
I think my next steps will be to brainstorm more and add more cards while I try to manage placement of Board Events. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them. I’m looking for generic issue terminology that is politically divisive. Examples are: Taxes, Spending, Gun Rights, etc.
For board layout testing, I think I’ll hand write on a basic pack of index cards and see how the layout works.
And that’s what I’ve gotten done to date.